NHLA Communications and Public Policy Internship Opportunity
Communications and Public Policy Intern
About: The National Hispanic Leadership Agenda, a coalition of the nation's 40 preeminent national Latino organizations, was established in 1991 to advance and raise public awareness around the major policy issues affecting the Latino community and the nation as a whole.We are looking for an enthusiastic intern in our Washington, D.C. office to support the coalition’s leadership and policy work.
The Public Policy and Communications Intern will have a unique opportunity to learn all the facets of advocacy and policy making to advance the interest of Latinos in the United States. NHLA is dedicated to providing each intern with a meaningful experience focused on professional development. This opportunity will allow individuals to hone their analytical and communication skills while having latitude to contribute ideas to the team.
- Assist in policy, advocacy and research needs related to the coalition's priority campaigns on immigration, economic empowerment, education, voting rights and health care.
- Perform research and attend policy briefings, as time permits.
- Assist in managing communications/digital engagement, write content for external communications including press releases, blogs and newsletter articles.
- Update NHLA’s website and social media including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn by crafting new and relevant content.
- Carry out some administrative tasks supporting the coalition.
- Organize meetings, presentations, and events with national leaders or elected officials
- The position is open to all current or recent college undergraduates and graduate students in Public Policy, Political Science, Communications, or a related area of study.
- Passion for helping the Latino community and interest in emerging national policy issues.
- Be flexible, organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills, including written and verbal.
- Self-starter and able to use sound judgment.
- Familiarity with the latest social media platforms including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, blogs and websites.
- NHLA Chair and Director of Policy and Leadership Programs
- Provided with a stipend and transportation benefits
How to Apply: Candidates are considered on a rolling basis.